||COVID-19 has unleashed a myriad of constraints in many sectors of the global community. Industry and academia, by necessity, have fostered innovative methods to address and overcome the unprecedented circumstances brought on by the pandemic. In the field of materials science, specifically, many of these adaptations, such as virus-related detection, protection, and prevention have been addressed. Presentations in this symposium will highlight the various ways in which materials scientists have transcended recent challenges in their field and professional lives. Presentations will also focus on ideas for companies and universities to better prepare themselves for similar circumstances in the future. Speakers will include industry leaders and professionals in academia and national laboratories faced with important pandemic-related decisions.
1. Development of new and adaptation of current technologies in materials research to address pandemic issues
2. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on policy and funding for materials research
3. Effective solutions to challenges for working during the pandemic such as: virtual networking and hiring, team collaborations and online workshops, and establishing a productive and safe teaching environment
4. Looking to the future: Approaches to crisis preparedness and designs to ease the transition to a post pandemic normal
5. Effective management and leadership during uncertain times