China is the world largest producer and consumer of zinc. In China, 45% of capacity used jarosite process and the rest 55% of capacity used Waelz process. The big quantity of the jarosite residues with high zinc (4-8% Zn), which are potential pollution source, and the high energy consumption are the main disadvantages of the two processes, respectively. Since 1997, Beijing General Research Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (BGRIMM) has carried out a series of researches on the process optima for leaching combination, iron removal and rare scattered metal recovery. This paper introduces the related researches: (1) A combined process of hot acid leaching with pressure leaching was developed in 2001, which could be an alternative for the upgrade of traditional zinc smelters. The process combination had roles as both the concentrate leaching and hematite precipitation. The lab and pilot tests showed a high zinc extraction (more than 97%) and lower iron concentration in the leaching solution (less than 2 g/L Fe). (2) A process for the indium recovery was researched in 2007. To improve indium recovery, the hot acid leaching solution was firstly reduced by zinc concentrate at 90-95C. More than 95% of ferric was reduced into ferrous with the Fe3+ less than 0.5 g/L in solution. Then indium was precipitated and enriched with the zinc oxide dust. The solution containing ferrous was introduced into autoclave for the iron removal at 180C. The pilot test results indicated that the total recovery of indium increased from 55% to 91%. And the process could enhance the zinc recovery from 91% to 96% in smelter. (3) A selective leaching process facilitated by controlling potential for recovery of gallium and germanium was developed in 2009. The leaching rates of Ga, Ge and Zn reached 93%, 93% and 98%, respectively. Ga and Ge could be readily precipitated from Fe, which existed as Fe2+ in the leachate. Ga and Ge were dissolved from the precipitates and extracted using G3185, which was an extractant synthesized by BGRIMM. Both the extraction rates of Ga and Ge were above 96% and both the total recoveries of Ga and Ge exceeded 80%.