ProgramMaster Logo
Conference Tools for MS&T21: Materials Science & Technology
Register as a New User
Submit An Abstract
Propose A Symposium
Presenter/Author Tools
Organizer/Editor Tools
About this Abstract
Meeting MS&T21: Materials Science & Technology
Symposium 2021 Undergraduate Student Poster Contest
Presentation Title Optimal Integration of TiO2-Coated Gold Nanostars for Enhancement of Photocatalytic Water Reduction
Author(s) Sanjna Sukumaran, Kaleigh M. Ryan, Laura Fabris
On-Site Speaker (Planned) Sanjna Sukumaran
Abstract Scope Photocatalysts based on semiconductors such as TiO2 have been investigated as reliable materials for solar energy conversion. TiO2 is popular for its abundance and stability, but its large band gap absorbs and converts only ultraviolet radiation, which represents just 8% of the solar spectrum. Gold nanostars possess morphology-dependent plasmonic properties capable of extending TiO2’s photocatalytic activity into the visible-near-infrared region, which represents the other 92% of the solar spectrum. The enhancement can be achieved by epitaxially coating gold nanostars with a TiO2 shell. These TiO2-coated gold nanostars generate hot electrons by absorbing radiation via their localized surface plasmon resonances. The hot electrons then cross the Schottky barrier separating gold and TiO2’s conduction band, where they can induce photoreduction reactions. In this project, we tune the plasmonic properties of the gold nanostars by modifying their morphology. Our goal is to achieve an optimal gold-TiO2 integration that can further enhance photocatalytic reactions.


Composition and Physicochemical Properties of Typical Waste Cooking Oil
Effect of Carbon Stoichiometry on the Heat of Formation of Hafnium Carbides
Effect of Modifier Cation Size on the Bulk Structure and Nickel Speciation in Alkali Borosilicate Glasses
Electron Cloud Migration Effect-induced Lithiophobicity/Lithiophilicity Transformation for Dendrite-free Lithium Metal Anodes
Enhanced Mechanical Properties in a 4140 Steel by "In-House" Intensive Quench
Experiential Study on Critical Stress Intensity Factor of Carbon Nanotube Filled Epoxy
Exploring the Liquid Phase Exfoliation of Two-Dimensional Bilayered Vanadium Oxide in Aqueous Media for Li ion Batteries
High Temperature Mechanical Properties of TiB2-WC-SiC Materials
Highly Crystallized Prussian Blue with Enhanced Kinetics for Highly Efficient Sodium Storage
Investigation of Embedded Metallic Components on 3D Printed Ceramic Structures
Machine Learning Approaches to Predict Properties from Microstructure Images in Ceramic-Metal Composites
Mechanical Behavior of Automotive Structural Steels in the Vicinity of the Ductile-brittle Transition
Mechanical Property Assessment of Silicon Carbide Fiber-reinforced Epoxy-matrix Composites
Optimal Integration of TiO2-Coated Gold Nanostars for Enhancement of Photocatalytic Water Reduction
Perovskite Film Formation for Solar Cell Absorbers: Effects of Substrate Modification
Pressure Optimization of Fast-Moving Silicon MEMS Micromirrors
Processing and Properties of (Ta, Nb, Hf, Ti)C
Rheological Characterization of Highly Loaded Alumina-Polymer Suspension for Thermal Paste 3D Printing
The Dynamic Performance of Wearable Sensors with Flexible Silver Ink
The Mechanisms of Micro-fine Titanaugite Enter to Ilmenite in the Flotation and Depression Behavior of Sodium Silicate
Thermal Analysis of Sodalite-immobilized Iodine-129 Caustic Scrubber Slurry
ZrB2 Aqueous Slurry Development for DIW Additive Manufacturing

Questions about ProgramMaster? Contact