|About this Abstract
||2022 TMS Annual Meeting & Exhibition
||Aluminum Reduction Technology Joint Session with REWAS: Decarbonizing the Metals Industry
||Building of a Superconductor Busbar at 200 kA for an Aluminium Plant
||Wolfgang Reiser, Viktor Stark, Till Reek
|On-Site Speaker (Planned)
Superconductors have reached industrial readiness and there are first superconducting applications and demonstrators. Superconductors are conducting direct current with extremely high densities of more than 500A/mm˛. Further advantages are loss-free transmission and a low carbon footprint.
This paper explains the current evolution steps that had been undertaken to develop an industrial-ready technology into real industrial applications for the aluminium industry. The paper explains the design of a 200 kA demonstrator with the target to complement an existing aluminium plant and covers the following points:
- Current status of superconducting high-current DC development and applications
- Motivation and overview of the DEMO200 project
- Design of a 200 kA busbar, current lead and connections
- Technical layout of currents, magnetic fields and forces
- Design and construction of the test stand for a 200 kA system
A conclusive status of the project and an outlook for further applications will be given.
||Planned: Light Metals
||Aluminum, Sustainability, Other