|Advanced Functional and Structural Thin Films and Coatings symposium will host the Heinz Palkowski’s session at the TMS 2023 Annual Meeting & Exhibition in San Diego. This Honorary Session will be in celebration of the innovative and extensive contributions of Heinz Palkowski from the Clausthal University of Technology (TUC), encompassing materials development (e.g. steels) by thermomechanical treatments, processing and their characterization. In parallel, this session will focus on the elaboration of advanced hybrid systems for improving the mechanical properties of lightweight materials (MMC) as well as structures in combination with metals and non-metals for automotive and biological applications. It will be open to all TMS2023 attendees.
Invited presentations will be delivered during two sessions on Tuesday.
In addition, Advanced Functional and Structural Thin Films and Coatings programming sessions will be held on Monday and Wednesday. Functional thin films and coatings continue to be an innovative area in physics, materials science, chemistry and engineering.
This symposium encompasses all aspects of advanced thin films and nanomaterials for modern biological, electronic, optical and photonic devices with applications in biological systems, photovoltaics, sensing and display technologies.
Moreover, coatings & engineered surfaces for reducing corrosion and wear as well as making use of lubricant-free (green) production and coatings for biomedical and healthcare applications are of interest.
This symposium will include, but will not be limited to the following topics:
Scope 1: Thin films and nanostructures for optoelectronics
- Fundamental studies and modelling, photonics, plasmonics, sensors, flexible electronics
- Multifunctional materials & devices
Scope 2: Coating technologies and surface structuring for tools
- Fundamentals & applications of lubricant-free (green) production
- Methods to improve wear resistance and reduce friction
- Functionalizing surfaces & interfaces
Scope 3: Multifunctional biomaterials, innovative approaches to new concepts and applications
- Functionalities of coatings/surface modifications
- Methods to improve biocompatibility, cell proliferation and growth, antimicrobial behavior and metallic ion release, load-bearing prostheses, corrosion resistance, wear resistance, etc. under in vitro and in vivo conditions.