||This inaugural symposium, building upon the Diversity in the Minerals, Metals and Materials (DMMM1) summit, seeks to address challenges of the current diversity landscape in STEM fields and to provide concrete actions to promote diversity. This symposium aims to raise awareness of the current diversity landscape in STEM, provide a complete definition of diversity, and address frequently overlooked implicit biases. The focus will be on empowering individuals/groups in all career paths to take action and creating concrete takeaways and action plans for attendees to bring back to their communities.
Solicited topics include, but are not limited to:
1. (Re)defining diversity (eg., LGBT, disabilities, race, gender, socioeconomic status) and why it matters
2. Describing the current diversity landscape and the implicit biases that hinder us
3. Providing an action plan that the audience can take to their home institutions/companies
4. Empowering people to make a change in the diversity landscape
5. Creating a vision for the diversity landscape of the future
At this time no proceedings are planned. Submissions from graduate students, post docs, professors, scientists in national labs/industry, and other professionals are encouraged.