||The importance of incorporating Additive Manufacturing (AM) as a part of manufacturing curriculum in engineering education is highly emphasized by the materials community. This symposium aims to support the evolving integration of metallurgy and materials science with additive manufacturing technologies embraced by the educators. An international gathering of academics, scientists from national laboratories and industry professionals in the symposium on additive manufacturing education will provide a wide spectrum of perspectives on innovative education strategies to adopt. The emphasis will be on the solid background for the immediate past, the ongoing and emerging additive manufacturing trends in the context of metallurgy, powder processing, materials science for metal additive manufacturing and polymer and ceramic sciences in additive manufacturing. We will share educational strategies adopted in both academia and industry to make the learning process of additive manufacturing more productive and competitive.
This symposium will serve as a venue for leaders from academia, national laboratories, and industry to share ideas, with the goal of enhancing and improving the education of additive manufacturing at the undergraduate and graduate levels while addressing fundamental challenges in AM to help our community stay at the forefront of additive manufacturing education and training. Researchers across multiple research areas and departments, including materials science and engineering, metallurgical engineering, mechanical engineering, nuclear engineering, industrial and manufacturing engineering and engineering design are highly encouraged to participate and share their education strategies on:
• Developing innovative curriculum design on state-of-the-art ideas in additive manufacturing technologies and design.
• Materials science, alloy design, and powder metallurgy for metal additive manufacturing.
• Physics of additive manufacturing and processing challenges such as heterogeneity in macro and microstructure in additive manufacturing and transport phenomena of additive manufacturing.
• Revolutionary design and optimization for components, materials and manufacturing in emerging additive manufacturing technologies.
• Educational resources on additive manufacturing, text books, research review papers and workshops and educational panels.