||Functional thin films and coatings continue to be an innovative area in materials science & engineering. For example, novel thin films and coatings are being developed with unusual structural, abrasive, adaptive, bioactive, self-healing, and optical properties. The objective of this symposium is to provide a forum to identify critical problems, stimulate new ideas, provide promising solutions, as well as discuss fundamental and applied topics. The specific areas of interest include but are not limited to:
- methods for development of novel thin films and coatings
- functional thin films and coatings for structural, biological, electrical, optical and other applications
- characterization of thin films and coatings for applications in aerospace, defense, energy and transportation
- novel approaches to prevent corrosion and wear - novel methods for self-healing, self-assembly, and self-repair
- innovative biosensors and bioelectronics
- bioenabled electronic and energy systems.