||Owing to their significant impact to improve both mechanical and functional properties of ceramic and metallic materials, ceramic- and metal- matrix composites (CMCs and MMCs) have been in the spotlight in recent years. In addition, with the advent of nanoscience and nanotechnology, their application span has broadened further. Accordingly, this symposium focuses on the recent advances in the science and technology of CMCs and MMCs, covering the processing aspects, the resulting microstructures, and properties (mechanical, thermal and functional), up to their applications. In the contemporary design philosophy, the science and technology of composite materials targets to exploit the mechanical, thermal and functional properties through an integral and multi-functionality approach. A symposium devoted to advances in such an important scientific and technological field will provide researchers, technologists, academicians, and students with a forum for the discussion of the current status and trends in the development of CMCs and MMCs. Acknowledging the increasingly growing environmental concern, the inclusion of the economic, safety, social and sustainability/recycling aspects in processing is paramount. Accordingly, contributions are invited that include but are not limited to the following areas:
• Innovative and traditional matrix compositions.
• Micro- and nano-composites (matrix; functional, thermal or reinforcing phases).
• Reinforcements as continuous and short fibers, whiskers and particles.
• Characterization of interfaces in composites.
• Composites with multimodal distribution of matrix, reinforcing/thermal/functional phases.
• Hybrid composites containing ex-situ and in-situ formed phases.
• Synthetic and natural or waste/recycling reinforcing/thermal/functional phases.
• Mechanical behavior and fracture of CMCs and MMCs
• Methods for joining/welding MMCs or MMCs with metallic alloys.
• Manufacturing costs related topics; Safety considerations in CMCs and MMCs.
• Societal impact; Sustainability and recycling aspects.