||The AWS Poster Session is an integral part of the AWS Professional Program. Graphic displays of technical achievements are presented for close, first-hand examination in the Poster Session. Posters present welding results and related material, which are best communicated visually, as well as research results that call for close study of photomicrographs, tables, systems architecture, or other illustrative materials.
November 8-10, 2022
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 12, 2022
Posters are presented in five categories:
• Students in High School Welding Program
• Students in a Two-Year College or Certificate Program
• Undergraduate Students
• Graduate Students
• Professionals (Does Not Partake in the Prize Money)
New Increased Poster Prizes:
1st Place: $750
2nd Place: $500
3rd Place: $300
RULES & GUIDELINES
THE PURPOSES OF THIS COMPETITION ARE TO:
• Advance the science, technology and application of welding and allied joining and cutting processes through poster length communication of investigative work undertaken to address a technical challenge.
• Promote the science, technology and application of welding to address technical and commercial challenges.
• Highlight quality investigative work in the field of welding allied joining and cutting processes along with recognizing the investigators and institutions that support these endeavors.
• Promote development of students’ communication skills.
• Promote development of students’ knowledge of welding and related technologies.
POSTER REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
• Only those posters submitted online will be considered. Follow the guidelines and word limits indicated.
• Any technical topic relevant to the welding industry is acceptable (e.g. welding processes & controls, welding procedures, welding design, structural integrity related to welding, weld inspection, welding metallurgy, etc.).
• Posters accepted for competition will be judged based on technical content, clarity of communication, novelty/relevance of the subject & ideas conveyed and overall aesthetic impression.
• Submittals that are incomplete and that do not satisfy these basic guidelines will not be considered for competition.
View more information about criteria by category, design guidelines, judging criteria, and general tips at https://www.aws.org/events/detail/posters-competition.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENSION: September 12, 2022
What to submit:
Submitted posters should use portrait orientation. Do not use landscape orientation. The size should be 28 in. wide x 44 in. long. Posters that do not conform to the size will not be eligible for awards. Abstract submission is NOT required!
The posters should contain the following sections:
• Title, Author(s), and affiliation(s)
• Problem Statement: Brief overview + concise statement of the problem
• Experimental Method: Brief description of the experimental procedures
• Results: Display the data from the experiments with limited text
• Discussion: What does the data mean? Explanation of the significance of the results
• Conclusion: Limit to three bullet points (a few easily remembered key conclusions), may note possible future research with additional bullet
• Acknowledgments: Acknowledge individuals, other than authors, who contributed to the project (especially sponsors)
View more information about design guidelines at https://www.aws.org/events/detail/posters-competition.