Sumitomo Metal Mining (SMM), one of the biggest Japanese nonferrous metals company will start the commercial production of scandium oxide at the capacity of 7.5tpa from early 2018 at Taganito HPAL Nickel Corporation in Philippines and SMM's Harima Refinery in Japan.
Unique aspects of the project will be as follows;
- First commercial Sc production by a western major metal refinig firm,
- First scandium recovery from nickel laterite ores, and
- Successful stable operation of HPAL technology for nickel extraction enanbles the recovery of scandium as a by-product.
This paper presents the following topics about the project;
- Scandium in laterite ores,
- Ni recovery by HPAL for 13 years,
- Sc recovery from HPAL nickel operation,
- Design and construction of the commercial plant, and
- Product quality
Moreover, scandium use in SOFC, Al-Sc alloys and other future application will be shared.